Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Horseback riding



       So a while back I overheard a group at Shepherd Center talking about horseback riding therapy or, Hippotherapy. I called for information as soon as I could when I heard them say, “It helps the disabled become enabled!” Now you can get help grooming or caring for a horse, but I felt no need for that. I wanted help riding to improve my gait!
     You can get the most help through your balance, which is an area where I need significant help. You will also receive help with strengthening your core, posture, working muscles, stretching, I heard that horseback riding mimicked walking so I was gung-ho about it.
    Sadly, I did it for about a year and I wasn’t seeing the results I wanted. I only saw a tiny bit of gains. Now I don’t want to discourage you from riding so I’m going to tell you this.
 I only did horseback riding once a week and in case it’s like other things I’ve encountered it needs more work than that. It needs a ton of repetition. Instead of going once a week I should have gone 3 times a week to get the success that I wanted. I just didn’t have time for that. Maybe one day I will but I’m guessing not anywhere in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment