Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Spasticity



When there is damage to the pathways in the nerves that control movement in the muscle spasticity occurs. Brain injury is my reason, but they’re many other diagnoses in which spasticity can take place. For example, cerebral palsy, stroke, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Spasticity can cause some pain, increase in tone. or tightness in muscles, spasms, decreased in function and bone/ joint malformation. I have spasticity on my entire right side. I have used two medical procedures to try to make my life as “normal” as possible. The first is called Botox. It doesn’t just relieve you from wrinkles. It helps relax other parts of your body like your arm and hand. So I go from the appearance of a clenched fist to a loose hand. The next medical procedure is called the Baclofen Pump.  The Baclofen Pump  releases this medicine called Baclofen through a catheter to affected areas of the body. The medicine also relieves spasticity. So if you or anyone you know is suffering from spasticity, I recommend trying these. Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment