Thursday, October 22, 2015

Getting dressedd



Have you ever thought about how many steps it takes to get dressed? My guess is that you have not. When your mobility is impaired it becomes extremely difficult to do this simple task. For example, let’s talk about putting on a shirt. You have to locate the exact holes that you put your arms in. Then you have to slide your arms through the shirt to get to the hole. Next, you have to find where your head goes and put it in the correct place. Finally, you have to pull the shirt down your back. This is probably one of the easiest clothing items to put on. Some people need to transfer to a bed to complete the process, especially if you lack in balance and coordination. It took me about a year after my car wreck before I was dressing myself and I still have trouble with snaps and laces. My best piece of advice is to receive the help from an occupational therapist. They are all about doing tasks independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment