Thursday, April 21, 2016

Side by Side



About two years ago, I was involved in a program that was called Side by Side Brain Injury Clubhouse. It is a program where members meet in a small house up to six hours a day. I went there 3 days a week for about 8-10 months and Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation paid for it.
     I heard about it from my vocational counselor at Shepherd Center. At the time, I was in desperate need of a job and would try just about anything to get one. I was told it was the next best step, so I gave it a try.
       The group met to focus on the strengths, abilities and volunteer efforts. Members needed this help in order to pursue a meaningful job. The Clubhouse was a very relaxed environment which consisted of people who had sustained a traumatic injury.
      They have the members split up depending on their needs. They have a business unit, a kitchen unit and a maintenance unit. I was in the business unit and I was responsible for the notes, collecting money, blogs and anything else that came up.
      It helped me to some extent It helped me most with scheduling because we had to be there at a specific time and also had an hour lunch break. It was a good experience and also helped me prepare for work.          
To get some resources to better assist you in getting help started. Check this out!
http://www.sidebysideclubhouse.org/about/resources/            

No comments:

Post a Comment