Friday, January 8, 2016

The surgery



The hockey-puck sized disk, or Baclofen Pump, that was implanted in my stomach about 6 and a half years ago was recently replaced with a fresh new one. You’re supposed to get it replaced every 5-7 years so that you don’t go through withdraw. Withdraw happens when you stop receiving the baclofen and it can be very dangerous.  I had to go under anesthesia, but only for about an hour and a half so that the doctor could operate. They just had to remove the pump itself and not the catheter that distributes Baclofen throughout the body, so it was not as intense of an operation as the first time.
        Up to about two days later my stomach was in pain and still today, a week later, I experience some pain when I try to bend my right leg and straighten it, but I was able to leave immediately after the surgery.
        Walking is already more fluid and easier and it’s only going to get better! My hand is also so much looser now! I hope but it probably won’t happen is that I start running and my hand becomes able to do some functional tasks!

No comments:

Post a Comment